Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Manila Floods - Philippines and India - Something in Common?



My memory goes back to late 1970s while I was still studying in St. Francis Xavier Primary School, Udyavara, Udupi. During the leisure time I was required to assist my father at his small grocery shop in the town. For years, my father had been a subscriber for Udayavani, a local Kannada daily published from Manipal. Few of my Father’s friends would come regularly to our shop not only to buy things but also to have a glance at the newspaper.

It was during those days I developed the most essential habbit of reading daily newspapers, from page first to last, without missing any news. I remember how I would discuss the current affairs both political and social often with people of my father’s age group. When it came to natural calamities, I remember it was during these times (during Mansoon in India), I would get to hear about typhoons in Manila, boat capsizings in Bangla Desh, Storms in Andra Pradesh and the consequential devastation of hundreds and thousands at times.

Ever since I moved to Gulf in 1990s, I happened to meet the people of Philippines as my colleagues turned friends. We would often discuss the political situations, law and order etc. in our respective countries which made me think India has many things in common with Philippines.

Yes, we (Indians) have many things in common with Philippines though the colour of our skins and the racial backgrounds vary apart. Philippines too is a developing country like India. Both countries have been strenuously practicing democracy despite of the rampant corruptions in private and public lives. Both countries have been facing the challenges of exploding population, poverty and unemployment. Above all both countrymen are required to depend on overseas employments thus contributing to foreign exchange reserves. People of both countries are being referred as Asians or TCNs (Third Country Nationals) in this part of the world. Just as Indians, scores of Filipinos would travel to foreign countries with dreams to improve their household, to educate their children, build a home and settle down at the age of retirement.

I am deeply saddened to see that many dreams are shattered due to this unexpected typhoon ondoy / Ketsana in Metro Manila during the past 3 days. In addition to the loss of approximate 240 people, nearly 450 thousands are said to be displaced. It will take lots of resources and efforts to rebuild the dreams, to rebuild the homes and to rebuild the devastated cities.

May this catastrophic period pass away quickly, may things turn back to normalcy and may simple dreams of simple people brought to life again.


Photo Courtesy : Pic 1 Emailed – originator unknown, Pic 2 by Yahoo

No comments: