Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A rainbow in Dubai Skies and days of cattle grazing….

Got it … finally got it! A colourful (colorful) rainbow in Dubai skies!

So, what’s great about it? you may ask!


During my decade long stay in Dubai and in surrounding cities, I had never witnessed sighting of rainbows, not either at homeland for the past 20 odd years.


There were thundershowers on Sunday night in Dubai and on the next morning it drizzled a bit giving people like me rare sighting of a colourful rainbow, while I drove to my workplace. Took a quick picture using cell phone.


Thought I will convey this good news to my eight year old daughter when I see her in the evening, imagining how excited she will be to see the picture of rainbow taken afresh. Before I could tell her of the rainbow, she was ready with her say "Tell you something, I saw a rainbow today, a rainbow for the first time in my life”! She said holding her breath as if a record has been broken. Indeed it was so for her.


She had always been asking me “Dada when will I see a rainbow?” I would reply her saying “I have not seen one either for long time. Wait dear, we’ve got to be home to see one. I’m sure, we will get to see one when we will be on holidays”. I had tried to satisfy her by showing googled images of rainbow, but had never thought she will get to see one here in Dubai.


Memory lane goes back to 80’s, to the simple village life in the coastal district of Udupi, India. It was during my high school days, mostly in the evenings, I would take a book or two in hand and sit on the narrow path-ways of paddy fields, yards away from home. At times I would be a village cowboy (without a horse) grazing cattle which were then just 2 in numbers (guys, I am very proud of my upbringing in the village atmosphere). It was exactly during those times, I would get to see bright and colourful rainbows.


While the paddy fields were filled with ripe yellowed rice-corns awaiting harvest, it was fun to watch the birds mostly crows and flamingos flying home after their days work. In a distant, I could see people returning from evening market, mostly carrying fish, vegetables and daily groceries.


Though I would carry books with the intentions of reading, I could never do that. Time was not enough to watch the kite flyings, birds flying by, sun turning red, growing bigger yet playing hide and seek behind the scattered clouds. It was satisfying to watch the cattle enjoying fresh green grass. How will a wandering and dreaming mind concentrate on reading at the serene and precious moments of the day? By the time the sun has taken a dip in the sea, I would fold the books and return home with a sense of unknown fulfillment with a wish to come back again yet another day.


As I conclude this post now, Tom Jones country hit plays in the back of my mind “Its good to touch the green green grass of home”!

9 comments:

Jzt 4 me... said...

Hey that was a beautiful description of nature's beauty u had experienced...ur old days in India really gave a delicious treat to my imagination...I could understand how beautiful it would have been to see those fields of corns and all..haa!!! these days, where do we get to see such beautiful sceneries...

Btw,thanks for ur wishes in my blog... do come to the blog once in a while...

jzt4me.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Thats a wonderful rainbow picture!

And the 2 shapes at the end of the rainbow (are they trucks?) look yellow-gold because of the sun shining on them.
I guess that really is the "pot of gold at the end of the rainbow"!

Unknown said...

I had just come out of my building in Sharjah for a morning walk, and spotted this bright and beautiful rainbow. I thought all seven colours were clearly visible. Also I observed some kids who were on their way to school did not seem to bother to have a look at this beauty. Have these days' children become a bit more lackluster towards such natural beauty, or are they too busy to observe these 'silly' things?

Okay, another thing: rainbow is a bow at sunrise or sunset. How will it look when the Sun is at the centre of the sky? Shape of a ring around the Sun isn't it?

Simple Dreams said...

Hi Jzt4me, [until and unless you tell me your name I'll have to call you so :)]

Thanks for your comments. Glad you enjoyed my posting.

See you in your blog. Will keep visiting, sure.

Simple Dreams said...

Hi Sweet Funshine,

Thanks for your comments on the blog. The shape at the end of rainbow is not the pot of gold but the roof of a small building. If at all gold appears (its myth), I'll let you know :). Cheers!

Simple Dreams said...

Hi Dayana,

You said it very right. Many children now-a-days are so occupied with a gameboy or a psp in hand that they often fail to enjoy these simple things of the nature.

I think the rainbow usually appears at angles of 40 to 50 degrees. And as you said in the case of Sun in the center, technically it may have to be a ring but beaming below the horizon will make it practically impossible to see from ground level.

Thank you for your visit and comment, plz. do keep visiting.

Unknown said...

From Wikianswers:

Q: Can you see a rainbow overhead at noon?

A: Yes. If the water moisture in the atmosphere is just right, you can see a rainbow anytime of the day. It is possible to see full circular rainbows or halos around the sun in the daytime, or even multiple ones.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_you_see_a_rainbow_overhead_at_noon

Cheers!

HaveYouSceneHez said...

thank you for the comment on my blog about the picture of me and my boyfriend! I appreciate you thinking its cute instead of bashing it like i know many people will. & im so glad your daughter got to see her rainbow! That makes me happy just reading about it! lol

Simple Dreams said...

Hi Dayana,

Thanks again. That's enlightening. I think the making of an artificial rainbow with the help of sprinkler too goes with the same theory.

Thanks for sharing the wiki answers.